Scottsdale Skin Boutique & Dermatology is your premiere center for comprehensive medical, surgical, and aesthetic dermatologic care. Our expert medical professionals are proud to offer evidence-based treatment plans tailored to each of our patients' individual needs. Based in the heart of Scottsdale, it is our pleasure to care for patients from Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Phoenix and surrounding communities in the Valley of the Sun.
Experience Scottsdale Skin Boutique & Dermatology:
Concierge Quality Care Accessible to All
What is Skin Cancer?
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Millions of new cases are diagnosed each year. The good news is that skin cancer is one of the most preventable cancers, and is very treatable when diagnosed early. There are three main types of skin cancer:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC). This most common type of skin cancer makes up nearly 90 percent of all skin cancer cases we see. These slow-growing cancers are generally found on the scalp, face, or neck.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC). More aggressive than basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma is the second most common type of skin cancer. SCC commonly shows up as a red, scaly bump or patch of skin, or a non-healing sore.
- Melanoma. Although less common than its counterparts, melanoma is the most dangerous and most well-known type of skin cancer. It makes up just one percent of skin cancer cases each year, but is the cause of the majority of skin cancer-related deaths.
We encourage all of our patients to monitor their skin and moles carefully to prevent the occurrence of skin cancer. If you are concerned that spots on your skin have changed in size, shape, or color, we recommend that you schedule an appointment with one of our expert dermatology providers at your earliest convenience.
What Causes Skin Cancer?
The most common cause of skin cancer is overexposure to the sun. The sun's harmful UV rays can cause DNA damage and abnormal cell growth, which can develop into skin cancer over time. Skin cancer can also be influenced by genetic factors. Patients are at a higher risk of developing pre-cancerous lesions and skin cancer if they do not use proper sun protection or have a history of sunburns.
What Skin Cancer Treatments are Available?
No single treatment works for everyone. Factors such as age, location, severity, and previous therapy may guide treatment decisions. The expert dermatology providers at Scottsdale Skin Boutique & Dermatology will help you choose which treatments are best for your melasma as well as review the risks and benefits. Options include:
- Topical prescription medications
- Surgical removal
- Mohs surgery
- Electrodessication and curettage
Am I a Good Candidate for Skin Cancer Treatments?
If you are worried about a specific spot or mole on your skin, and/or it is time for your full body skin examination, the specialized skin cancer treatments at Scottsdale Skin Boutique & Dermatology may be right for you. We encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our expert dermatology providers to discuss your unique concerns.
The expert medical professionals at Scottsdale Skin Boutique & Dermatology are proud to offer comprehensive, personalized treatments for a variety of medical, surgical, and aesthetic dermatologic concerns. Please contact us to schedule your appointment today at 480-998-1400. We look forward to demonstrating our commitment to your care.